The Lyme History Museum, operated by the Lyme Historians, Inc. is located in the Churchill-Melvin House at 15 Main Street across from the Lyme Common and between the Lyme Country Store and the cemetery. See map below
East side of the Churchill-Melvin House
Hours: Wednesdays (May-Sep) 4 pm to 6 pm, (Oct-November) 10 am to 1 pm, and Saturdays (year-round) 10 am to 1 pm. We can always open other times by appointment. If you have a question or need information please email or call us.
Email: email@example.com Phone: 603-795-2508
The Itinerant Museum – A Short History of Our Museum
All ready to exhibit and nowhere to go. For years, the Historians have curated a remarkable (and still expanding) “movable feast” of Lyme-abilia. Before they secured a home on the first floor of the Lyme Center Academy building in 2002, the collection shuffled all over town. Now we have our own building in the Churchill-Melvin House on Main Street across from the Lyme Common with five exhibit rooms including our lovely new entrance. The Historians have worked hard to create a beautiful museum space that allows us to stage themed exhibits, often including objects lent by members for our new home! How wonderful to have such generous friends who want to share their Lyme artifacts with all us.
Lyme Through the Decades –
Ever wonder what was happening in Lyme in 1860 or 1920? Come and view our Lyme through the Decades exhibit. Find placards describing events in a particular decade and artifacts from that same decade.
Chesley Schoolhouse: July 28, Sept. 1 (Labor Day weekend), and Sept. 28
Located at: 161 Baker Hill Road (just beyond the southern jct. with Isaac Perkins)
Drop in to see the oldest surviving one-room schoolhouse in Lyme. Originally built in 1824, this little school served the children of Lyme’s District 15(out of 16 districts) until 1959, when the Town consolidated all its schools, and all started attending school together at “the Plain”.
Never had plumbing (two 2-holers are still attached in the back), and basically unchanged since it closed its doors in 1959. Nineteenth – 20th c. desks and books from Lyme schools, the old bell from the Hewes Schoolhouse, and photos all displayed along with the old blackboards and walls.
CHILDREN accompanied by an adult WELCOME! (Best for ages 5 and up) –Remember, no plumbing! Depending on the roadwork to repair the culvert on Baker Hill Road, we plan to be open on these Sundays, 3-5 PM: July 28, Sept. 1 (Labor Day weekend), and Sept. 28 (weather permitting)
— AND — as with all Historians’ property, open by appointment almost any time! (Send us an e-mail.)
Spotlight on the Collection
Our new home is named for two early families of the house, Judge David Churchill and George Melvin. Both men owned the Lyme Country Store at different times, making their home very convenient to their business. The newly refurbished parlor now displays examples of period furniture along with a few of the 1850 technologies.
Found in the parlor is the Estey Organ which was played in the Lyme home of Clyde Grant and has recently been beautifully restored!
We are now displaying an extensive collection of native American artifacts that originated in Lyme. Bartlett Mayo, who owned land near Post Pond and the gathering place known as Ordanakis, discovered points, pestles, scrapers, and other tools while working his land.
Mayo left his fascinating collection of 139 artifacts to Dartmouth College, which conveyed them to the Montshire Museum of Science. The Montshire has generously agreed to convey them permanently to the Lyme Historians for display and curation.